Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf (personal testimony, missionary work)
- Don't look for a dramatic event to convince you to believe
- If you look to believe in Christ, you will find Him
- "Strive to be among those the Lord can rely on."
- Think of others, don't miss most prfound experiences
- God notices and minds us, meets needs through others. We cananswer others prayers
- Be on feet to meet needs, after knees
- By being answer to others prayers, we find answers to our own
- Some would rather pull a handcart than bring up gospel. We have a GLAD message!
Paul V. Johnson (Trials)
- No trial we endure is wasted: builds character, makes us more charitable
- Trials precede blessings
- Growth can't come by taking the easy way
- Not one of our trials is beyond our limits, BECAUSE WE HAVE CHRIST'S HELP
H. David Burton (Presiding Bishop) (Church welfare program)
- The Church of Christ is interested in the temporal welfare of man. Can not receive message of gospel until temporal help is received!
- As long as we have resources, we will not let you go without food, clothing, shelter
- Personal responsibility and self-reliance
- We do not help people, but help people help themselves
- Self-reliance is a result of provident living. As much as you can, assume responsibility
- avoid debt, be thrifty, prepare for bad times, follow the prophet, know needs vs. wants, live accordingly
- Society is woven from charity
- 75th anniversary of church welfare program
Silvia H. Alred (Service)
- Love and serve one another: essence of discipleship, purpose of the church of Christ
- Did anyone else just hear her say to help families of hungry bears? Was it humble prayers?
- When members do all they can to meet their own needs, the Church stands ready to help. (I've been president of the Relief Society before, in a previous ward. This is SO TRUE. It's a beautiful thing to see. Relief Society is our women's organization, but it was organized to be a charitable organization.)
Elder David A. Bednar (Revelation)
- We can receive revelation if we ask in faith, with an honest heart, believing that we'll receive.
- How can we reject Devil's enticements, to be more receptive to the spirit?
- Some are immediate, intense (turn on a light bulb)
- Some gradual, in small increments. According to desire, worthiness, preparation (sun rising)
- I just realized how I can receive revelation as a mother.
- Don't underestimate your spiritual capacity because you don't receive huge, striking experiences.
- Picture a sun rising in the fog: sometimes you don't know you've been receiving revelation
Choir: "Have I Done Any Good" (I see a LOOOT of new faces today!)
President Thomas S. Monsaon (hooray!)
- Bishop has responsibility to care for those in need within boundaries of his ward
- Called as prophet 3 years ago, has enjoyed dedicating/re-dedicating temples
- 26 temples in construction, pre-construction stages!
- People sacrifice so much to attend the temple- stories of people who save for years, and travel thousands of miles.
- Temple work is ours to do
- Always be worthy to go to the temple
- Have a picture of the temple in every bed room? Children learn it is part of their lives.
- Rome temple being built in one of the most historic cities in the world- apostles taught and were martyred there.
- Make sacrifices necessary to attend temple, have spirit of the temple in our hearts and homes.
Choir: "The Spirit of God" opened with an amazing men's trio- fantastic arrangement!