Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chocolate Box Tutorial

Now here's a fun little gift for Valentine's Day: Chocolate Boxes! You could fill them with chocolate candies, a few small cookies, sweet notes...anything you like! It's a lot of chocolate...but that sure didn't slow my husband and toddler down. I think they took it as a personal challenge- you guys are VERY lucky I got pictures before they dismantled it *grin*



Chocolate Box Tutorial

Materials and Tools Needed:
5 Chocolate Bars (I recommend Hershey's)
1 Hershey Kiss or other chocolate candy
Griddle (I used electric, but a skillet on the stove would work well too)

1. Unwrap all your chocolate and get your heat source ready. Take one bar and break or cut in half.



2. When your griddle is hot, take one chocolate bar and lay it on your work surface (a cutting board works well.) Decide now which side of the chocolate bar will be facing the inside.

3. One by one take the two whole bars and melt a bottom edge by melting on the griddle, and then quickly press onto the top of your base chocolate bar, along the edge. Don't press too hard onto the griddle, or you'll lose your square edge.



4. Take the short sides, and working quickly melt the bottom and 2 side edges. Press into place at both ends of the box. Try and measure/eyeball before you start melting to make sure they're not too big or too small. It's better to cut some off then to try and melt them down to size, as the "melted portion" will quickly grow quite large!



4. Melt the bottom of the Hershey Kiss and press onto the middle of the remaining chocolate bar- this is the lid of your box. But, let the box completely cool and harden before you put the lid on- this can take a while. If you need to, prop the sides up while it dries- cans from your cupboard would do nicely. Some time in the refrigerator can also help these set up a little quicker.



Done! You can fill these with little candies and they make dandy little Valentine gifts (or, really, they make great gifts ALL the time. Come on, it's chocolate!) I used Nestle Crunch bars, but it was a bit fiddly with all those crunch balls sliding around. I recommend sticking to Hershey bars. Also, don't let it melt too much, or this will happen:


I got the side piece so hot, that it melted the base! If your pieces are too liquid to work with, let them sit for a few minutes and then press together.

Enjoy! Let me know what you think, if you try these :) And, a big WELCOME to all our "Works for Me Wednesday" posters, from Rocks In My Dryer.

7 comments:

Sara said...

This will totally impress my kids and save me some time this year! Great idea - thanks!

Unknown said...

Yum. I don't think anyone could resist a chocolate box, especially if its filled with even more chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Good Guide.

Su said...

I'll need 6 bars, though! Gotta feed the cook/box-construction-chocolate-addict person :)

Su said...

I'll need *6* chocolate bars - gotta feed the cook/box-constuctor-chocolate-addict. :)

LunaMoonbeam said...

Great tutorial, sweetie

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is so creative, I love it!