Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Simple Drop Earring Tutorial

These earrings are so simple to make, but use some good techniques. (Honestly, my 3-year-old helped me get a bridal order of these earrings ready. Think I should pay her?)

Once you get the hang of these, look at a few of your favorite pieces of jewelry- chances are they're made with similar techniques. Just think of the possibilities!


These supplies are readily available at your local craft store, or even Wal-Mart!

You could probably go pretty far with just a plain set of needlenose pliers from the toolbox, to practice with but I recommend getting a jewelry set from the craft store. A plain vanilla set costs about $10. These pliers have springs in them to keep them OPEN when at rest, which is much easier than pliers that are naturally CLOSED.

I'm using sterling silver elements, with Swarovski Crystal in the peridot color. The rondelles are Swarovski as well, crystal color. Also, you can use whatever earrings you prefer- the bride wanted leverback, so that's what we did!


Simple Drop Earrings


Ingredients for this tutorial:
(2) leverback earrings
(2) 8 mm round (5000 style) crystals
(4) 6 mm bicone crystals
(2) 6 mm crystal rondelles
(2) silver 2" head pins




Start with one head pin, thread the beads in this order:
8 mm round
6 mm crystal rondelle
6 mm bicone
6 mm bicone



With your clippers, snip the head pin off about 3/8" above the last bead.






With your needlenose pliers, grasp head pin just above last bead, and bend at a 90 degree angle.





With your round-tip pliers, grasp the tip of the head pin, and curl tip up and into a curve, back to the 90 degree bend. You'll have to turn the pliers over at some point in that curve, unless your hand CAN turn around backwards.... regardless of how you do it (!!) leave the loop open just a smidge for the next step. (Oh, and please ignore how I'm holding the pliers- I was just trying to get them in front of the camera! Thanks.)







With your needlenose pliers, make sure the end is straight.



Hook your loop onto the ring at the base of your earring, and pinch close with the needlenose pliers.







Repeat with remaining supplies, and enjoy!


12 comments:

Sandy said...

Myrnie,

I love the earrings!!! Green is my favorite color and I think I can do this! Thanks for the great tutorial. I left a link back to your blog today and a thank you for the wonderful monogrammed hanky I won in your give away on my post today. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LunaMoonbeam said...

Beyootiful! So pwetty! ;-)

Debbie said...

Thank you for this. I have made earrings but haven't done the loop at the top like you do. Yours is much prettier. This will help me.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I love drop earrings (those are gorgeous btw)!

Manuela

Myrnie said...

Thanks, Manuela!

Su said...

Wow, they are so pretty! I love your jewelry tutorials.

No-L said...

Those are beautiful! You never cease to amaze me!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

This is the second tutorial of yours I have just read. Now I've got to get out my stash of beads! I love beads and mine have just been sitting there for awhile. I think it's time to break them out of their prison! =) Thanks for the motivation!
Rebecca
rootsandwingsco.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

Hi, I'm over here from Miss Sandy's blog. I am sooo happy that I came here. I've been wanting to know how to do what you just showed. Thank you ever so much!

God bless,
Elizabeth

Kate said...

Gorgeous! I have been hunting for the perfect pair of earrings and having no luck. Perhaps I'll take advantage of your tutorial and make my own.

Mad in Crafts said...

Gorgeous! I would like to try my hand at jewelry sometime, and this is a great tutorial!

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Ponytails said...

I am linking!