Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Crayon Muffins

I saw an idea for "crayon nibbles" here months and months ago (November 2007, actually.) Funny how some ideas just won't quit! We never had enough "trashed" crayons around our house to try this project, but I remembered a few days ago that my mother had saved all the crayons since I was in kindergarten, over 20 years ago. (I should have taken a picture for proof, but I definitely found the stub of a pencil I was awarded in 1st grade.) She obligingly brought the bucket of crayons to Sunday's family dinner here, and all the women (me, Mom, Aunt A and her friend, and Ernie) maniacally and methodically started unwrapping them. We're a bit...OCD? At any rate, we enjoyed ourselves immensely and Ernie was quite upset when the pile was exhausted. Yesterday, Ernie and I separated them into color piles, and tonight I broke them into little bits and baked them in muffin liners (265 degrees, for 6-8 minutes.) I imagined them coming out looking like technicolor peanut butter cups. Om nom nom.





I have enough crayons here to make a LOT of these wax muffins, and I wondered to myself on Sunday if the nursery at church would let me turn their abused crayons into sturdy little nuggets as well, for all 45 of those sturdy little hands! (Let me tell you, if I was called to teach Sunbeams right now...I think I'd be very scared. I'm not sure how many kids move up in January, but it's probably not less than 10!)

A note about the blog I linked to- she's a fabulous mommy in Utah, ex-kindergarten teacher. She posts about wonderful little crafts to do with your kids- all kinds of things, with all kinds of art supplies I normally try to keep hidden. The woman has guts! Guts and class, that's what she has.

On another note, it can be dangerous doing projects like this after Ernie's bed time. She saw these in the morning and was CONVINCED that the pink one was her breakfast. Seriously.

6 comments:

Casey said...

I've seen this around a couple of places too and I've been looking forward to giving it a shot. Did you have any trouble with them sticking to the paper? Does E like to color with them?

Kat said...

I love the crayon idea. When i worked in daycare we would throw tons of crayons away every week. I'll have to try this soon.

LunaMoonbeam said...

Kim S. told me last night she TOTALLY thought you'd lost your mind when she saw that you were BAKING crayons. She had NO idea what they were for. ;-) I told her I'd pass that little tidbit along.

Oh, and...hope you like today's post. ;-) You know I love you!

scarbie doll said...

Hi there! Wondering if I could use one of your images. Doing an article on this craft and your photos are perfect! Would credit/link back to your blog. The website I write for is www.sweetmama.ca. Thanks!

Nadine

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Myrnie said...

Umm...thanks, anonymous! (??)