Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

I Made This: Modpodged Shoes

I saw a few mentions in the past year of people Modpodging their shoes. Hmm....they all used fabric, but I thought I'd give it a go with tissue paper!

These are Ernie's church shoes. They looked a little worse for wear in the toes, and the ribbons were frayed, but they still had a bit of room so I wanted to revamp them just enough to buy us some time before she outgrew them.



I started by snipping away all the ribbons and froo-fra, then starting at one spot and painting a good thick coat of Modpodge, and sticking on chunky pieces of tissue paper, letting them be a bit rumpled and wrinkly, especially in the spots that needed more coverage. (This is a great reason to save tissue paper from gift bags, even if it's torn and wrinkled, if it has a FABULOUS print.)

She hasn't worn them yet (typical- I spend all this time re-doing her FAVORITE church shoes, and she decides to wear her glittery red shoes...the ones that are next on my list to be re-vamped because they're worn in the toes too!) but they are still flexible and look like they'll stand up to another few months of church.

*Story: My niece is very hard to impress. I made these shoes at her house after she went to sleep, and when she came down in the morning she stopped, turned to her mother, and said "I. Want. Shoes. Like. THAT." I promised her she could have these when Ernie outgrew them, if her mother couldn't find anything else we could gussy up for her!*



I've linked this up to the weekly Mad in Crafts linky festival- go check out the other fabulous projects!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Ticia said...

Way too cute I'll be curious how it holds up

LunaMoonbeam said...

They turned out great!!!

Elizabeth said...

You did a great job! I love the end result.

Unknown said...

Those are so cute! I have some of that exact same tissue paper in my studio! Maybe I'll do my shoes - ha ha!

THE BAILEYS said...

WAY COOL! I love coming on here and seeing all your fabulous ideas and crafts!