Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Something Beautiful


Yes, E is still sick (but still happy!) However, I got SO little done yesterday, and I went to bed so VERY tired, that I just had to get something done today. So, we've done laundry, cleaned and tidied, and I did a little bit of yard work during her nap. In the spring, I ordered some very inexpensive, VERY small, lavender plants through the mail. They were really just about 3 inch high little wands, with roots attached. I was SO surprised when after I planted them in our newly-made flower beds along the walk way, they GREW! They thrived! They actually had flowers! Today was the day to harvest the lavender because:
a) a few bushes were growing over the sidewalk and
b) I needed to add something beautiful to my Kleenex and cuddle filled week. (On the sickie front, she slept until 9:00 this morning rather than 5:00, and she ate 2 chicken nuggets for lunch. She won't even eat ice cream! She MUST be sick.)

So, here are pictures of the lavender I harvested, and what I did with a few of the wands. The rest will be dried, flower buds rubbed off, and either made into sachets or lavender lemonade. Or ice cream. Or something else really good that I've always wanted to try, but never wanted to pay for someone else to make so I could purchase it at the grocery store! I'm looking forward to a much bigger harvest next year- I have about 10 plants. The craft instructions can be found here. Maybe I can make enough to use as Christmas gifts next year- it smells fabulous.

1 comment:

Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

Lovely to see! My lavender got away from me this year and I didn't get any crafting time in. I'm filing away your idea of using the ribbon with the small loops on it, a beautiful combination with the basket.