Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

March 16, 2014

Looking out the dining room window on the second story, down at the French drain and pipe along the side of the house.  It has been raining all day, and the basement is dry!  



Backyard is an awful mess though.  It isn't as bad as it looks, but that clay is a boot-stealing bully. J lost his shoe a few times yesterday.  You can see the rocked French drain and the final resting spot of the greenhouse slab.  Next jobs are to finish moving all the dirt taken out of the drain, order more rock and fill in the rest of the drain, and level and clean up the yard just enough to move on- put the greenhouse back together, smooth out the backhoe tracks.  Pouring the patio is the next crew job- the patio will go from the house to the French drain, to drain water away from the house.  Final landscaping comes last.  Can't wait to see it all put together!  We will throw a big BBQ!


I don't mean to complain, but it is interesting to me that while I don't feel particularly worried about all this-- I'm not making huge lists or obsessing-- I am still very stressed.  I have had nightmares, upset stomach, the kind of headache that puts me in a scalding hot shower in the dark.  Our basement first flooded, majorly, about a month ago.  We have been spending weekends and nights on this for a month, and I have worked hard to keep things normal for the kids and to try and make sure school and meals still happen.  This week was good.  The week before, I don't recall cooking a meal and I know the kids spent an entire day at their cousins' playing while J and I cleaned water from the basement.  After this gets taken care of we get the fence built (a two day project) and then start the huge process of putting the basement back together and remodeling the kitchen.  I could list off dozens of reasons why I should not be stressed, because really things are awesome and this is all going so well and we have had so much help it is almost an embarrassment of riches, but it is still there.  

At this point, because so many have helped, it feels like a personal failing and I am working on trying to get this out of my system and find peace- just let it flow around me.


No comments: