Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Princess for a Day

Today was Ernie's very first birthday party- what a fun thing!

We're currently in a "fairy tale" unit, with lots of princesses, knights, role-playing, and stories. Lots and LOTS of stories. I thought it only fitting to have a fairy tale birthday party.

The girls made princess hats (and our lone boy made a king crown...but he thought the streamers were so pretty, he requested two. Pink, please. Atta boy!)


There were flower crowns for the girls to take home (thanks, Su!)


And a dashing felt hat for our boy.



A lot of our ideas came from the book Days of Knights and Damsels: An Activity Guide. Our library has "kits" you can check out- our first kit was the "knights and castles" kit- it included books, a CD, a movie, and a puppet! So, so much fun. We've especially loved this book- it's full of ideas of medieval foods, crafts, costumes, games, and art. The flower crowns and felt hat were all inspired from this book, as well as some of our games (Blind Man's Bluff, anyone?) and our lunch (poached chicken, cheese, fruit, and crusty french bread with fresh butter...someone please confiscate that butter? It's SO good. Thanks.)

We also sent all the kids home with hobby horses- you know, horse heads on sticks? A VERY lucky find at the dollart store yesterday- all down time during the party was consumed in a constant parade of kids on horses, screaming "neigh! neigh! neigh!" as they galloped through the kitchen, hid behind couches, and generally showed the joie de vivre that only 3 and 4-year-olds can.

Does anyone remember their first birthday party? I'm not sure I do, but I remember that my mom always threw the best parties for us. They were so ORGANIZED. My mom is the queen of lists.

3 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

Love it! (and that daring 'do hat?! *swoon*)

Good job, mama.

Ticia said...

I so have to keep this in mind for when my Princess turns 3 this fall.

Su said...

Wow! Sound like a wonderful party!
I'm not sure that we had many parties; my parents were not fond of big parties. However, I have pictures of myself as a 1 year old, seated behind a big ole fancy cake.