We're 2 for 2 in my goal of getting to the Farmer's Market every Saturday this season. We had been thinking about signing up for a CSA box-- around here, it's about $30 a week for a big box of whatever the farmer harvested that week-- but I had much rather give myself a budget and go to the farmer's market every Saturday.
Last week, I found leeks, spinach, baby carrots, and jerusulem artichokes-- and if anyone knows a good alternative to simply eating them out of hand, I'm all ears!
This week, it's:
- Leeks, because they are amazing. I'd never had them before.
- Bok choy. Reminds me of my sister, and her mother-in-law.
- small Fuji apples. My daughter LOVES apples. So far today, she's snitched three. Yippee!
- Green onions- these are the monstrous things bundled in blue above. They are gorgeous, but what do I DO with them?
- Swiss chard. These have a red center, and I felt like I had altogether too much green in my basket. We love chard, and ours isn't growing yet because I was a pansy and didn't plant any winter crops.
Oh, and here's today's lovely photographer. I phoned at 8:20 and woke her up, and she still agreed to come with us to the market today. What a gal!