Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

A Flock of Butterflies

I think this is my favorite craft with Ernie so far- she made three, and I made roughly 20! It's so fun to see what the ink will do- where it will eddy and swirl, which colors will mix together, what the final product will look like. We're doing these as part of our F day- a Fluttering Flock of butterFlies.




Fluttering Butterflies

Materials Needed:
Markers
Coffee Filters
Spray bottle of water
String


Color however you like, and make sure the filters are on top of something you don't mind getting ink on- it WILL go through. Be sure and get color at the edges, so it will show after you scrunch.

After they're colored, spray well with water (I do this over a sink) and hang to dry somewhere you don't mind getting drips. The ink will seep and spread. I taped a few lengths of string over a box, lined with some extra wrapping paper from a recent birthday (it's waterproof enough for this.)

When they're dry, scrunch, tie, and hang! It would also be cute to scrunch these with black pipe cleaners, bent at the ends to look like antennae.










5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi, Myrnie -

I was just over at Alexandra's and she was talking about planting potatoes in a trash can...She said that she got the idea from you? What size can? Is this a big outdoor can? Can you tell me more?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Su said...

Great craft idea!

Meredith said...

Oh, how pretty!

So glad to find your blog. You have a great eye.

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Loving this! I just bought some coffee filters for the first time in my life (NOT coffee drinkers, can you tell?). And am having so much fun with them for my crafts! This is a perfect project as we are having a butterfly week!
Rebecca
RootsAndWingsCo.blogspot.com

Alexandra said...

Pretty!