Along with some blessed and very welcome sunshine, we are making some changes in our house, and it's been a beautiful thing.
--Side note: We are seriously contemplating homeschooling our children and purchasing an RV so we can chase the sun. Wonder Daddy is favoring Southern California for January-March. OK, not seriously...but still...it's a pipe dream.--
We've always filled our days with whatever came along, whether it was alone time, play dates, walks, libraries, or whatever stumbled across our path but this last week I've tried to be a bit more deliberate in what we're doing. Starting Monday, we've spent each day focusing on a letter of the alphabet and working a little bit on math and music concepts. It's been a blast, and Ernie is so much calmer. I'm exhausted at the end of the day, with almost no down time, but it's an HONEST exhaustion. It feels nice to be working so hard. She has such a fantastic memory, it's fun to teach her to read new words every day.
Here are our lesson plans from this last week, so you can see what I mean.
- Find A words in books
- Scriptures: I Am A Child of God
- Practice drawing A's (Didn't do)
- I draw, she gives them faces.
- I write words, she adds A and we sound it out
- She makes shapes with chop sticks
- Make playdough
- make letters
- A lunch: strAwberries, grilled cheese sAndwich
- Nature walk: airplane, cAr, etc.
- Math: Manipulating chocolate chips (half, whole, addition, subtraction up to 10)
- A is for Apple accordian book- numbered pages, draw that many seeds on each page.
- Find B words in books
- paper Balloons for Grandpa Don's birthday- we can tacky them to the windows and string them from the chandelier (she drew HAPPY BIRTHDAY on them, by herself! I just told her which letters to write.)
- Nature walk: look for bees, birds, boats
- Help me make Bread
- Boats in the bathtub?? (didn't do)
- Scripture: ABinadi
- Cups: large tupperware of beans, she used her measuring cups
- Cake: Decorating paper cake with candles and blueberries
- playing with "cups" (mini cake tins) and play dough
- C books
- Scriptures: Jesus Christ's resurrection
- Movie: Cinderella
- D books: NumberlanD (her choice)
- craft: drawing Dogs
- Activity: acting like a dog and duck
- Treat: donuts :)
- Cut a Daffodil for her room
- Scriptures: David and Goliath
E 4/10/2009 (we have a playdate, so the plans aren't as firm for today)
- Easter eggs
- dye Easter eggs
- paper easter eggs to hang from chandelier
- Make string eggs (glue, string, small balloon as form)
And finally, here's a project we started tonight that I hope will take up some of Saturday afternoon when the girls are bored and Daddy is still at work (we are SO excited for tax season to end!) I'll post more pictures, and an explanation, when I'm sure that it's going to work!
Do you have any favorite resources for homeschooling/preschool lesson plans or activities? After a week, play dough and markers start to lose their luster and I'm feeling like a one-trick pony :)