Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Teeny Tiny Napkins for Teeny Tiny Faces



I picked up a stack of cloth napkins at the thrift store last summer to replace our paper ones, and they're great. The kids love them, they're durable, they wash well...but there's only 8, and always seem to be in the laundry hamper instead of the kitchen! We needed more...and we needed lots.

I picked up a piece of home-decor weight cotton fabric a while back during a fabric sale at Joann's, and stuck it away until a project came along. All the home-dec fabrics have big warnings "DO NOT WASH ME!" Obviously, I felt a twinge of guilt when I got home as I threw my piece of fabric in the washing machine and shut the door. (I'm a rule keeper.)

Yeah, nothing happened except that all the industrial-strength starch washed out, it shrank a little, and...it now seems to be absorbant. None of these are good news for your furniture, but GREAT news for your kitchen!

The edges are just serged with a rolled hem edge, and these tiny wipes are a great size for the kids. As my mom and dad pointed out (while laughing and trying on for size) these are NOT lap-sized napkins. They're not even really adult-sized napkins. But for wiping off crumby faces and fingers, and little drips of milk, these are a great size for the kids to work with. They're about 8 inches square.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

Fabulous!!! You know that stack you made for me? I still don't use napkins...but I keep them on the table for the 32 times a day BBJ announces, "EEK MOMMY MY FINGERS ARE DIRTY I NEED A NA'KIN!"

Aaah. Perfect fit. ;-)

Samantha said...

So savvy of you, as always! Whenever I give J. a full-size cloth napkin, it promptly goes to the floor. ;)

Su said...

I like that fabric. Maybe I should make some new napkins so that my husband won't have to use my green and pink polka dotted napkins anymore.
Then again, maybe not, it's kind of fun watching him use them :)

Ticia said...

That's on my list of things to do in my spare time. You know with all of it I have.....

Alexandra said...

Nice! I need some new ones. Mine are getting frayed and are way past their prime.

Teresa said...

Wonderful! that's all I use is cloth napkins- Love it.
Happy day