Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Playing with Biodegradable Packing Peanuts


Mimi making a "thing"

Back when I was a teen and in college I used to babysit two really great little kids. One year for Christmas I found them an enormous bag of colored bits of "foam" that would stick together if you got them wet. They were awesome! You could make them into crowns, bracelets, necklaces, robots...and they were simply colorful packing peanuts. You know the biodegradable ones? Yeah, they taste like Cheerios and they are SO sticky when you get them damp. Tons of fun for the kids to play with!

My husband's grandmother sent a Christmas package that was filled with these packing peanuts, so I saved them for a quiet day after the rush of Christmas. The kids loved them! I gave them a little plate of water with a rag on top for them to stamp their peanuts onto before sticking them together. The only thing was I couldn't convince my oldest girl to do it QUICK, so she ended up melting away half her peanuts, and her fingers got sticky, and the other peanuts started sticking to her...and she decided she'd had enough fun for one day. We have a ton left, I'm excited to play more with these!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I told my husband the other day that I was hungry for Cheetos. He offered packing peanuts instead, insisting they were the same thing if I just added cheese powder. There is a reason he doesn't fix dinner.

What I Did Today said...

Hahahahahaha! Love Bobbi's comment. And this is such a great way to use what you've got. Love tips like this. Thanks! P.S. Love the 36 week pic.

Elizabeth said...

You are such a smart mother, very creative. I am always amazed at everything you do! :)