Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Beautiful Life: Generosity and Good Taste

Welcome to all the people here from Melissa's Beautiful Life linky fest!

I'm glad for the opportunity every Friday to slow down and think about what made life beautiful the past week. This week, it's definitely the kindness of a "stranger."

*************************************************************************************

Sometimes life is just funny.

My sister has a friend who lives in my (what used to be OUR) area. This sweet woman is so amazingly talented- she quilts, sews, knits, tats lace, and I don't know what else. She loves to share her talents, and loves to teach. (She taught my sister to knit.)

She also is quite a bit older than us (she has grandbabies, and we just have babies), which means: Major Stash.

A while back I posted about some fantastic vintage string I picked up at the thrift store- she sent this letter to my sister:

"I had to chuckle when I read your sister's blog about using a "vintage" thread she picked up at the thrift store to hang her little hearts. That big thing of thread came from my sewing room!


I suspect your sister lives somewhere near me and I'd like to offer her something. I'm going through things in my sewing areas and goodwilling them. I've got a box of wonderful non-quilting fabrics ready to take over there; but thought that I'd offer for her to come go through any stuff I'm giving away first; then if there's nothing that she thinks she can do anything with, off it will go. Let's just by-pass her going to the thrift store and paying for my stuff she can have for free!!"

Is there anything more wonderful than generous people?

I picked up four file boxes of fabric yesterday, and hauled them out of the trunk this afternoon. Gracious, she's de-stashing some GOOD stuff! Vintage ribbons, Christmas scraps, huge pieces of wool blends, sweet ginghams, vintage patterns, printed panels (remember those fabric books you used to make for your kids?), and I'm not even sure what else.

Here are a few pictures- I'll post more later as I work through her treasures!





I love these woven ribbons. Look at those little buggies, and bunnies!








This might be the perfect edging to the Easter skirts this year



Vintage patterns





Very vintage




Does anyone remember how to do their hair like that? It's so neat! And doesn't that dress in the back look COMFY?

Wonder Daddy? If I promise you a pair of these shorts, can I have a new shelf?


Ooh...I'm totally grooving on the tennis shorts OVER sweatpants look. I just wore them with leggings in high school. Okay, not really, but I AM excited to have a track pants pattern. Those things are EXPENSIVE!

So, Lynnae, if you're reading this: Thank you. Thank you very, very much.

2 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

oh, i am DROOLING over those ribbons!!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Aw, that is so sweet. I love when people do random acts of kindness and generosity!

:-)