Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

August 29, 2013



The end of summer is coming- our three month drought has become constant rain (for now- we normally get some nice weather all the way into October.). It's time to get into the garden and pull out everything that can ripen inside before it starts to rot on the vine.  I want to experiment with my fuchsia pots this year: I have this idea that if I stick the plants in the ground now, I can let them develop a good root system and grow them as perennials.  Even if they die back in the winter, they should sprout again...could be fun!  I got the idea at our local botanical garden; They have 150 kind of fuchsias growing in a plot.

The kids have their last swim lesson today- we all look a little like poor Ariel!  (She's a much-loved diving toy/chew toy.)  It's been an amazing summer- E got baptized with lots of family visiting and we took trips to Moclips, Chelan, and Winthrop (all are tiny towns in Washington state.)  Bedtime  has moved from 8:00 to somewhere around 9:30.  We took the summer off school and piano lessons, and I got to see the kids blossom as they played outside.  Ernie learned to ride a bike AND to swim.  Mimi has graduated to a big bike with training wheels, and Cocoa has moved onto the little purple tricycle.  I really need to paint that and tighten some screws!

We have two more long weekends, with one more family trip in there, and then Wonder Daddy and I will both start work anew.  He's switching companies and job descriptions, and I'll be starting up the piano studio for the year, on the same day.  Feels like we should celebrate that night!  His job switch has been miraculous- after lots of discussions together about his needs, the family's needs, and his current company's needs, it was five weeks from starting his search to starting his job.  

I've been a dope and NOT following my doctor's orders (just a hint: when a qualified naturopath/western style doctor prescribes vitamins instead of antidepressants, do NOT stop taking the vitamins because you think you're all better or you think you can just substitute children's chewables.  That's how you find yourself unable to get out of bed, with no appetite, and crying in random corners of the house.  Since the vitamins were to counteract a hormonal imbalance, they really need to be the kinds of vitamins that build hormones!)  HOWEVER, I am back on my vitamins and feeling marvelous so that's a huge blessing right now.  I'm also really hungry :)

Today we'll do swim lessons and lunch, and then I teach school during Cocoa's nap.  I thought I had things to help Mimi with during E's school time but so far she's kind of bored.  I'm going to work on creating a Montessori-style shelf for her to pull work from.  I think she'll like that.  A friend I haven't seen in a while is coming over after dinner tonight: we both need some Girl Time!  We might just chat here, or might get crazy and go to fro-yo or Target--or both, if we're crazy!

Ta-
Myrnie


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi, you probably don't remember me. I was without a computer for a long time, except for the occasional use at the library. With my new one up and running, I am visiting all my former blog friends. I can't believe your children are so much more grown up. Congrats on the baptism this Summer.

And what is a fuchsia? Can one eat it?

Are you still singing?

Angela said...

Hahaha, I JUST stinged out on purchasing more vitamins because I've been popping the kids' chewables. You're so right, it's not enough. I love that you're so frank about it.