Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Of Fairies and Fish

The girls finished moving all of our fairy village into the greenhouse today- it involved galoshes, rain coats, umbrellas, and a little bit of haggling to figure out where everything went.  This is all subject to change tomorrow.  If I remember, I'm going to get some plants in there to over-winter and hopefully bring a bit of life in there.

Finishing the fairy village in the greenhouse

We spent today running laundry, cleaning the kitchen, finishing up straggling school assignments, and just catching up on life stuff.  I let Cocoa pull me around the house by the hand, to play whatever he wanted to play.  (Spoiler: It's always catch.)  The kids were thrilled with lunch today- I served dates, cheese, crackers, grapes, chutney, hummus...and served it all family style on the coffee table.  I pulled it into the dining room, and we all sat cross-legged on the floor.  They thought that was nifty, and their faces were so close to their plates there was hardly any clean up.  Bonus!

A package arrived today from our favorite clothing company- the girls have been looking forward to this!  I wasn't prepared for the season change, and Ernie had just about nothing warm to wear in her correct size.  She had no long sleeve anything (shirts or sweaters), no rain jacket that fit...we ordered a few long sleeve tees for both girls, some jeans and sweats for Ernie, a fleece and rain shell for Ernie, and pink fuzzy bath robes for both of them.  They spent the rest of the day in those bath robes- I knew they'd like them, but I didn't know they'd like them THAT much :)  I ordered some hoodies to wear around the house as well, but E's was on back order and M's arrived 4 sizes too large (oops!).  I've promised the girls we'll make some skirts together, so that will finish off their winter wardrobe.  They've requested fleece skirts, so that ought to be warm!  I need to find some fleece that isn't thick, so they don't look like they're wearing blankets.

The salmon have returned to the Pacific Northwest, we went to the fish hatchery tonight to watch them battle up the creek and up the fish ladder.  I LOVE that Wonder Daddy gets home early enough to do things like this now- we're loving his new job.  (The ten-minute commute is a pretty good perk, too.)
At the salmon hatchery

Crazy Cocoa.  It was nippy tonight, but he took off running, shedding clothes behind him.  For some reason he couldn't run while wearing his flannel and rain jacket.  Goof head.

Mimi.  OH Mimi, your hair is so scrumptious.  We can take a moment here and thank my husband's family for that curl that doesn't stop, no matter how many times I trim her hair.  This girls' hair is always fabulous.

At the salmon hatchery

At the salmon hatchery

At the salmon hatchery

We crockpotted a potato soup today, and everyone enjoyed that after the cold walk at the hatchery...and then I ran away from home and spent the next few hours wandering Target.  Wonder Daddy is a saint, I know he has long days at the office and he still pushed me out the door when I joked about taking the night off.

2 comments:

Mama Papaya said...

You have a beautiful life, my friend. A beautiful life indeed.

Mama Papaya said...

You have a beautiful life, my friend. A beautiful life indeed.